Marcelo Godoy Simões, Ph.D., Fellow IEEE, Professor
President, Mines Faculty Senate (2019-2020)
Electrical Engineering Department
Colorado School of Mines
Golden, CO 80401
Work: (303) 384-2350 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Degree Institution City
D.Sc. Mechanical Engineering University of São Paulo São Paulo, Brazil
Ph.D. Electrical Engineering University of Tennessee Knoxville, TN, USA
M.S. Electrical Engineering University of São Paulo São Paulo, Brazil
B.S. Electrical Engineering University of São Paulo São Paulo, Brazil
Awards and Honors
- 2018 Premium Award Best Paper in IET Renewable Power Generation
- 2018 EE Department, Colorado School of Mines, Services Award
- IEEE Fellow (2016), with citation “for applications of artificial intelligence in control of power electronics systems.”
- Fulbright Fellow (2014-15), Visiting Scholar with Aalborg University (Denmark).
- NSF – Faculty Early Career Development CAREER (2002), it the NSF’s most prestigious award for new faculty members, recognizing activities of teacher-scholars who are considered most likely to become the academic leaders of the 21st century.
- IEEE Industry Applications Society IACC Service Award 2013
- Best Paper of the Year 2011 Award, given by IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, for the paper “The New Frontier of Smart Grids” IEEE Industrial Electronics Magazine, November/December 2011, pp. 49-63, vo. 5, no. 3, authored by X. Y. Yu, C. Cecati, T. Dillon and M. Godoy Simões
- Best Conference Paper Award, given by IEEE Industrial Automation and Control Committee of the Industry Applications Society, for the paper “An Energy Management System for Building Structures Using a Multi-Agent Decision-Making Control Methodology,” authored by Peng Zhao, Siddharth Suryanarayanan, and M. Godoy Simões, IEEE IAS Annual Meeting 2010
- IEEE Electrical Power & Energy Conference (EPEC), 2009, Montreal, Best Conference Paper Award for the paper “PEM fuel cell stack hardware-in-the-loop emulation using DC/DC converter design.”
- CSM Research Fair (1st) for the thesis defended by Caroline Uriarte, “Electrical Modeling and Integration of Distributed Energy Resources into the Electric Grid,” April 2007
- Nominated for a Canada Research Chair faculty position at University of Concordia, May 2006.
- IEEE Power Electronics Society recognition award for furthering the objectives of the society by serving as 2005 PESC Technical Program Chair and PEEW Chair.
- North American Power Symposium, 1st Prize Graduate Student Award, for the paper with Robert Wood derived from his M.Sc. thesis entitled “Experimental evaluation of a stand alone wind turbine induction generator under stator flux orientation,” August 2004.
- IEEE 2003 Third Prize Paper Award, from The Industrial Automation and Controls Committee of the Industry Applications Society, for the technical competence displayed in the paper entitled “Parametric cmac networks: Fundamentals and Applications of a fast convergence neural structured, ” October 2003.
- Award for Leadership and Services, from the IEEE Industrial Automation and Controls Committee of the Industry Applications Society, October 2003.
- Dr. Simões was advisor for the 2003 Future Energy Challenge CSM undergraduate team. The CSM students were awarded an IEEE PK Sen Senior Design Award by the IEEE – IAS/PES Denver Chapter in October 2002.
- Certificate of Appreciation from U.S. Department of Energy for working on the organizing committee of the 2001 Future Energy Challenge.
- IEEE IECON 2001 Best Paper Presentation Award “Resonant ac link system converter for fuel cell grid interface”
- Elevated to Senior Member of IEEE, 1998.
- IEEE 1998 Industry Applications Society Best Paper Prize, for the technical competence displayed in the paper entitled “A novel competitive learning neural network based acoustic transmission system for oil-well monitoring” October 1998.
- Nominated for the IEEE IAS Young Engineer Award, 1997.
- Received a prestigious Brazilian Government Scholarship (CNPq) to pursue his Ph.D. at The University of Tennessee from 1991 to 1995.